Oct 16, 2011

Eastern Europe and Egg Cream

So while the original purpose of this blog was to familiarize myself with strange and different British chocolate bars, I've managed to get in quite a few international guest stars through traveling (and through the generosity of traveling friends). The latest exotic acquisition? A Laima dark chocolate bar filled with egg cream, of all things, from Riga, Latvia. (Thanks, Oli!)


Egg cream, you say? I KNOW, I think. But it was all a huge amount less gross than it sounds. The bar itself appears to intriguingly have no name - I originally thought it was called a 'Laima', but then figured out it was the name of the chocolate company - reportedly the 'Cadbury's of Latvia'. Personally, I think this is selling Laima a bit short. The exhausting list of products on their webpage includes ice cream bars and Russell Stover-type variety boxes, which is where this bar appears to have originated. 


The bar consists of a nice thick layer of dark chocolate covering little segmented sections of egg cream filling. The chocolate is nicely sweet, kinda like a Hershey's Dark, but much better quality. The filling is absolutely delicious - it's this yellow, custardy consistency that is thick enough to keep from oozing out of the bar, but creamy enough to leave a nicely soft texture on your tongue. The chocolate is thick enough to provide a good contrast to the filling. The entire thing has a vaguely alcoholic taste, like so much Eastern European chocolate (although I don't think there's any actually in it).


This is DELICIOUS. Maybe it's because I didn't have huge expectations, but I ate this bar so quickly it wasn't long before I sadly realised it was all gone. More than anything else, it reminds me of those little assorted Polish chocolates that Barb used to bring back from Ohio (some awesome, some disastrous). Yummm, nostalgia. I'm totally going to have to visit Riga now, if only to go on the factory tour and stock up on all the many varieties of Latvian chocolate favorites. 


Four bars! International win! 


Next weekend I'll be in Marrakech, which for some reason I highly doubt has cheap chocolate bars sitting around just waiting to be reviewed. Mint tea, yes, cheap cocoa, no. Who knows, though, I could be surprised. If not, see you in two weeks, when we're finally back in Britain!

Bar-o-Meter


1 comment:

Erin said...

heeee i <3 your blog