May 15, 2011

A Tale of Two Cadburys

So I've been so slack in updating this blog that I'll have to combine two reviews in one. It shouldn't make too much difference, since one wasn't even worth the calories anyway.

My bad will last week has been graced on the Bourneville, an attempt from Cadbury's to offer a 'fancy' dark chocolate bar. Apparently they've gone so far with the fanciness that you're not even supposed to refer to it as Cadbury's chocolate - it's 'Bourneville chocolate', thank you very much! The bar is just plain dark chocolate squares, with none of the bells and whistles you'd expect from a normal candy bar. My impression from this and the shiny wrapper (too reflective for pictures!) is that this bar is intended to for the 'sophisticated' chocolate shopper.




Seriously, though, wouldn't the sophisticated chocolate shopper just eat something delicious and only half the price, like Green and Black's or the abundantly available delicious dark chocolate bars on the market? Bourneville isn't even worth the time, in my opinion. It's too sweet and while it tastes like chocolate while chewing, it leaves an unpleasant sugary aftertaste with no hint of chocolate. I don't even think it cracks 40% cocoa content! I know I'm going to make a lot of enemies with this one, but I wouldn't even rate it better than a Hershey's Special Dark - equally aspirational and equally gross. Thank goodness I had some Hobnobs around to soothe my damaged palate. 


Like Hershey's, a Bourneville is only good for one thing - making s'mores. And I as I was not equipped with neither graham crackers nor marshmallows nor an open flame, I give it one bar and one bar only. Fail.   


On the other side of the spectrum is a Twirl, which was this week's chocolate selection. This is also Cadbury's and also relatively plain, but it actually builds on Cadbury's strengths - decent milk chocolate for a wide audience.




The Twirl (conveniently separated into two Twix-style bars for more than one snacking occasion) is kinda like a Flake (not yet reviewed) covered in milk chocolate - that is, a whorl-y, twisty mess of milk chocolate covered in a slightly more solid shell of the same. It feels light and airy to bite into, and actually tastes of...air, almost, in a good way. It's kinda like a little breeze entering your mouth with every bite (to describe the texture in the cheesiest and absolutely most demented way possible). Bog-standard (by which I mean, actually, pretty good) Cadbury milk chocolate (I think I'm warming to the stuff) and smooth. 



Overall, not as exciting as my favored candy bars loaded full of delicious stuff, but nice all the same. A solid three bars.




So really, it just goes to show. Cadbury, stick to what you're good at and leave the nice dark chocolate to the professionals.



No comments: