Jul 9, 2011

Crunch Time

I've repented for my evil, rule-breaking ways of last week, and have finally picked up a Crunchie from the local shop. I promise, I'll never stray from the straight and narrow path of sequential chocolate bar tasting again. (Unless, that is, I have another day at work that drives me absolutely crazy and in need of some serious chocolate therapy...but of course that would NEVER happen. Obviously.)


So, the Crunchie. It's a bar consisting of pretty much straight honeycomb covered in a layer of milk chocolate. Honeycomb (and I'm not sure that this actually exists in America) is a British treat consisting of hardened but slightly chewy sugar - see here. I'm generally not a fan, as it only tastes of sugar and has the annoying habit of getting stuck to your teeth. So an entire bar of it didn't seem too appetizing - or interesting!
I have to say, the bar wasn't as bad as I expected. The garish, orangey-colored honeycomb (THAT can't be natural) was overly sugary and sweet, but the chocolate layer surrounding it was actually thick enough to provide a good contrast. The middle is nice and light, and veers towards a meringue-like texture, rather than a teeth-cracking or overly gooey candy (both of which I've had in the past).
I was actually going to give it a halfway decent rating until the aftertaste kicked in. While the chocolate covering does a good job of toning down the honeycomb flavor while you're eating the bar, the only taste that actually remains after a few minutes is sugar. Boo. This bar is wildly unexciting, although not as bad as I expected. Let's give it 2 bars to prove it wasn't totally inedible.


Next week I'm off to Paris (joy!) and while I'll be on the hunt for some kind of slaggy chocolate bar to review (do the French even DO bad chocolate?), I'll more likely be stuffing my face with crepes, baguettes, pastry, and cheese galore. Vive le obesite!


Bar-o-Meter


No comments: