Jul 27, 2013

Back to Basics

So I was in one of the more down-market newsagents near my office, and something new grabbed my eye. Not new to England, I know, but new to me! I discovered Cadbury's Chomp and Fudge bars, which, with their small size, no-frills wrappers, and 20p cost resemble the 'basics' line of groceries at my local supermarket. Undaunted, I decided these new discoveries deserved a chance along with the more expensive or exotic bars I had reviewed in the past.

I was pleasantly surprised. These two petite little candy bars are a refreshing change from the bells and whistles of the last review. They're nothing fancy, but they're good because they're simple.


Both bars are covered in Cadbury's milk chocolate, which is a nice complement to the fillings.

The Chomp is filled with a really nice, buttery caramel. It resembles a chewy Werther’s Original - not overly sweet and just sticky enough. I think I prefer this to the teeth-sticking yet tasty Curly Wurly. Really simple and tasty. 4 bars!

The Fudge surprised me, not being filled with chocolate but instead with a vanilla-y, soft filling. That's when I remember that fudge in England doesn't mean the chocolate-y kind we're used to in the US. But this isn't bad - it reminds me of the vanilla or maple fudge we’d get on vacation up in Vermont. It has a nice soft, chewy texture, but as it's a little sugary, I'll award it a slightly lower 3 bars.


The sheer bargain-ness of these bars amazes me – I can’t even actually THINK of anything else that costs 20p. So not only are they tasty, they also suit these austerity days very well. Recession bars!

In hard times, the people of London should return to a classic candy bar. It turns out you don’t always get what you pay for – sometimes (and not often!) it is an awful lot more.

Combined 3.5 bars.
Bar-o-Meter


No comments: