Feb 10, 2005

Give me back my phone!!

So, I needed to get my phone unlocked, because T-Mobile sucks. (For the uninitiated, mobile phones in the UK run off a GPS system. You can switch your phone between service providers by changing the SIM card in the back of the phone, this little dime-sized chip. When a cell phone is "locked," it means that the mobile service provider (in my case, T-Mobile) has done something to the phone to prevent you from changing companies.)

Anyway, you can get the phones unlocked at nearly any really cheap and sketchy electronics store. It's not actually illegal, but I can't make out whether it's completely legal, either. That should have been the first sign of trouble.

I head out after work one night to get the phone unlocked, and the sketchy people at the store tell me to come back at 7. I do, but then they tell me since my phone is ancient (thanks a lot, Eric), it'll take longer. Definitely by noon tomorrow, they tell me. So I come after work again, and they haven't gotten the phone back yet from wherever they do their dodgy unlocking activities. They tell me to come back at 7, and I do, but the phone STILL isn't there. And not only is it missing, apparently it's broken as well. The shifty guy's explanation: "um, we tried to unlock it and something exploded inside. whoops." Now, this is like my fourth time at this place, AND now my phone has been destroyed as well, so I completely lash into them. The guy tries to pacify me by telling me they'll give me a brand-new phone for the same price as unlocking the first, and maybe he'll even take off a discount, and I bitched back, "you'd BETTER give me a discount," and walked off with their number, ready to kill someone. I think I might have scared them...Denis later told me that I acted very "American," whatever that means. Demanded some decent customer service? (which, by the way, is nearly non-existent in this country)

Anyway, it must have done the trick, because the next day I came back to find a shiny new color phone with polyphonic tones and a camera, much nicer than anything I have back home. Yes I'm awesome. And Eric, now you've got a brand new phone out of the deal, so no bitching about your crappy old one that died on me in my time of need.

Ok, no more updates...have to actually do some work today...

= :)

P.S. Also, while my title might appear completely lame, I think my dad will get the reference. :)

2 comments:

Erin said...

wow, assertiveness!! go anne (although, yes, it sounds like an american thing to do i guess)

promise me that you will take paparazzi photos (with your new phone?) of Prince Charles and Camilla's wedding. for realz!

Shelley said...

Customer service. Ha!

I bestow upon you a useful abbreviation--CBW. Curt British Woman.