Feb 11, 2011

Hazelnut Saves the Day

So, it's the second week and I've already broken the rules. As I faced the candy display this afternoon, I noted with dismay that the next few candy bars were all some variation on a KitKat or a Twix. And while the dark chocolate KitKat did look appetizing, let's be honest - at the end of the day it will just taste like a KitKat covered in slightly nicer chocolate. No suprises there. And as the whole point of this experiment is to try things I haven't tried before (what, you thought it was a clever ploy to justify eating more chocolate?), I boldly moved on.


Aaaaand got a Kinder Bueno. I've had these before, and I'm being strictly nationalistic here - I want genuine, flag-waving, tea-drinking, flat-cap wearing ENGLISH candy bars. So I skipped again and got a Topic. Woo! (In the interest of full disclosure, I'm planning on skipping the vaguely continenal-looking Guylian bar at the end of the row and going straight to - dum dum duuuuuuummmm! - the second row.)


So, after last week's disatrous attempt, will the Topic save the entire project? Actually, I thought it was very nice. The bar is basically a tarted-up Milky Way bar (American version) - caramel and nougat covered in milk chocolate. But the nougat is less sickly sweet and has a nice hazelnut flavor to it (and some actual hazelnut pieces - if you squint you can see one in the photo). Still a little too sweet for my taste but pretty good! And, indicative of its edibility (and handy smaller size), I not only actually finished it this time, I actually craved a little more. (Of course, that could just be the hangover.)

Two bars!

Bar-o-Meter




4 comments:

Erin said...

but what will you do during lent!?

Anne said...

Give up something else?

Jo L said...

topics = the last one left in the multi pack at christmas. Second class chocolate bar!

virginia said...

yum this one looks good! om nommm