Feb 20, 2011

Turkish Despair

So it's the third week of the chocolate adventure and I arrived at the shop bright and early on Friday morning, excited to explore the second shelf. But just as I reached for the first bar there, something caught my eye. The first shelf had somehow gained an extra bar - one that definitely wasn't there the past two weeks. The bright pink wrapper beckoned, glinting in the light. All too late I realized I was reaching for a Turkish Delight.



Turkish Delight. I don't know who ever thought this would be a good idea, but apparently SOMEONE's eating this, as it's still available in stores. If you've ever had real Turkish Delight (which is disgusting, no matter what The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe tries to tell you), it's a gelatinous, over-sweet, vaguely perfume-like confection - in a word, gross. The Turkish Delight candy bar, on the other hand, is even more gross. It's a solid, Jello-like mass covered in milk chocolate. The jelly inside tastes, for lack of a better reference, like eating solid dish soap. The chocolate surrounding it barely contributes to making it edible (although I did, in an act of desperation, pick off all the exterior chocolate to get at least some pleasure out of this bar). I think I managed one bite before spitting it out in disgust.

NEGATIVE BARS


I didn't think it was possible, but I found something worse than the initial disappointing Mars Bar. The Turkish Delight was completely inedible and frankly, should not even be available in stores. If I don't get another good bar soon, this endeavor may die a quick death (Although Morgan assures me that I've gotten through two of the worst bars available, so there must be something to look forward to). Until next week.




Bar-o-Meter

-X


4 comments:

Mrs. Patrone said...

I quite disagree, Anne. I, for one, think that the Turkish Delight is aptly named and very tasty. In fact, I often buy a box at the check out counter at Marshall's, and have enjoyed some from a Turkish candy shop in Brooklyn. In fact, Virginia purchased it for me while visiting Turkey.

Anne said...

Yes, but you also like lavender-flavored gum. I rest my case.

Jo L said...

You know what else tastes of soap - those little sweets, gummy ones, pretty solid, shaped like a little jelly mould. Ming-ING!

Lavender gum? I Heart America.

virginia said...

this candy bar looks nassssssty...but i must agree with mom, turkish delights are completely delightful. they are light and sweet and chewy and flavorful. perhaps you just havent had a good one. i also love that perfume gum mmmmmmmmmmmmmm