Mar 1, 2005

Adventures of a Secretary

Because that is my job. As much as I try to tart it up (calling it "Administrator"), it remains a stark truth - I am a secretary. And not the best one, either. I swear, I'll never look at secretaries the same way again. They're expected to know every single little thing going on in the office and in the lives of their bosses, while at the same time keeping tabs on every single development, project, and procedure in the department. I'm beginning to think I'm not really cut out for the job.

No, actually, it's not that bad - there are just some days when I feel like I'm meant to understand what's going on, and I simply have no idea. Like apparently I'm supposed to know how to induct a new employee, put through purchase orders, and make a good cup of coffee. Also, my boss called me a "silly girl" yesterday with not the smallest hint of disdain in her voice. hm.

Anyway, work isn't incredibly busy, as is obvious from the fact that I'm writing this post during work hours. Hm, so updates. Spent a relatively quiet weekend at home...watched a bunch of DVDs and got to bed early. All the housemates were out and about or going to bed earlier than me, which is incredibly weird, since everyone is usually up until about 4am on the weekends, but it made for a bit of a relaxing change - I'll just make sure I have weekend plans in the future.

It was ridiculously cold all weekend (30 degrees is cold for London, trust me), but I managed to venture out of the house to go shopping and visit the Imperial War Museum. The museum is really amazing - it just has a huge amount of good exhibits, as well as a special one on POW escapes, which was a lot of fun. I actually got to go in for free b/c of a chance meeting with a museum guard when the zipper pull on my purse broke at the entrance. He offered to get me pliers, we got into a 20min. conversation about how he started working for the museum, and then I got to go into the exhibit for free as his guest, where he gave an awesome insider tour. Very nice guy - both his father and his Grandfather had fought in WWI and WW2, and he had a lot of interesting info on the museum and war in general. But before you go thinking anything, remember the kind of man I attract (anyone remember 60-year-old John from the ballet) and keep in mind that John (the museum guard) is around the same age, with much fewer teeth. :P Awesome.

Shopping-wise, I went to Portobello Road and had to restrain myself from buying any clothes - the skirts were so pretty!! And £5 earrings! And bags!! And vintage prom dresses!! Ahhhhh! Someone stop me before I blow all my money.

Ok, boss just walked in - must start the day. Bye!

= :)

1 comment:

denis said...

need more greek food...