Mar 11, 2005

In which I get fired, but not really...

Hey everyone -

Haven't really updated in a while...being a sheer combination of laziness, sporadic bursts of activity at work, and the fact that the Internet access at the University is less than good. But it's Friday, and I'm bored, so here's the update.

I've found that I tend to do more on weeknights than on weekends, just because things tend to be less expensive. Good for my wallet, bad for my sleep habits. Unfortunately, I still act like I'm in college and stay up until at least midnight every night. I can't help it - it just seems weird to turn in early.

Monday is £1 night at the Prince Charles Cinema, this second-run theater in Leicester Square, so I went to go see Bad Education with some of the housemates. The acting was really good, but I'm on the fence about the film itself. Afterwards, Alana suggested we go to Haagen Dazs, which was a fabulous idea because they have a Haagen Dazs RESTAURANT in Leicester Square, complete with doorman, wait staff, and large comfy couches. mmmmm...all I had to do was try not to remind myself that my sundae was the equivalent of $12 - ouch.

Tuesday was an off-day, which was kinda nice. Made really good bolognese (kind of) sauce and had a fabulously large helping of pasta.

Wednesday was nice because both my bosses were off work (same for Thursday) and I could goof off a bit during the day (not like I had much to do, anyway). That meant I got to book my accommodation for Florence - I'm so excited it's coming up so soon! That night I went to the Australian Film Festival with my friend Joanna from work and we saw Somersault. It had an okay story, but was just a gorgeous film (and also had a beautiful soundtrack).

And last night was the Camden Crawl, an all-night concert crawl (in my fabulous neighborhood, which is unfortunately getting trendified as we speak) with 9 venues and about 40 bands. It was a lot of fun - only Alana and I went (we were the only two to secure tickets). Basically, we just walked up and down the high street and stopped in at random venues along the way. In addition to seeing some cool bands, we also got to check out a lot of live music venues in the area, from the former Camden Palais (now the named-after-a-gorilla Camden Koko), this big, grand old theater to the Electric Ballroom, this cavernous underground music venue. We saw the London Towers, Magic Numbers, the Buzzcocks, and some little Irish (we think) band that I've forgotten the name of already. Also, we got the BEST BURGERS EVER at midnight and the really friendly guy there recognized me, which excited me to no end. AND I got a free CD out of the deal. AND a gold wristband. Rock.

Oh, and the almost getting fired thing. So my boss calls me over on Tuesday and tells me he wants to tell me something before I get a note from HR and get alarmed. He goes on to tell me that the woman I'm doing the maternity cover for is suddenly returning at the end of the month. So I'm thinking I'm out of a job until my boss tells me they like me (whew) and they want to keep me on as a research assistant. So I get to do the interesting (market research) part of my job without all the crappy photocopying and admin part. Awesome. I rule. And I'm not jobless, homeless, and starving in the streets, so I think I came out of this quite well.

Indeed. Okay, that's all for now. I'll update if I remember something interesting...but you guys can feel free to comment all you'd like. Go ahead. Really. Pay some attention to me!!

Okay, bye.
= :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hellooo...

OK I'm bored at work to, so I just read the entire blog from start to finish. nice work... but i can't see why your work like you so much considering the amount you've written during work time! disgraceful miss patrone...

anyhoo - my comments as I read the thing:

observations (from the top)

1. how much rain were you expecting? you seemed so surprised that we didnt live in perpetual monsoon!
2. you think east london is trendy.... i hope thats changed now!
3. "cool" crowns and sceptres... oh dear. you know we make those shops for americans like yourself! and i never thought theyd work...
4. january sales - not that wierd a phenomenon - every store in the country goes on sale from 26th december to early feb. i thought it
happened all over the world!
5. we have to go to foyles
6. something beginning with P... pasta sauce... ooh, could it be passata? you dont have that in the states? also tinned toms are cheaper ;-D
7. what were your favourite earrings like?
8. green grass... shocker...
9. whats the right and presumably wrong way to take tea?
10. 'working girl' means something v different over here...
11.sunsets - not hugely rare, we get one about once a day normally in the evening just before it gets dark.
12. "everyones really nice".... i was expecting soooo much more!
13. where are these "best chips ever" - in vinyl? ill have to try some....
14. Spurs?!?!?!?! why?!?!?!
15. lemonade = lemonade like we have. what you call lemonade is sickly sweetened crappy home-made juiced lemons. ours is the real deal
16. pimms is ALWAYS drunk with lemonade. it is nice, but is strictly a summer drink for having by pools or on sunny terraces. etc.
17. if you dont have doritos you truly are backward over the water... you poor soul!
18. love this bit: "Don't want to hook up with a housemate or anything - what with all the drama sure to ensue..."
19. spitalfields market - i want to go!
20. we do have decent customer service! we also have tipping sometimes - usually the two are linked
21. why so surprised about straight guy roommates dancing like maniacs in GAY? hmm... surely everyone does it!
22. your account of popstars is somewhat edited...
23. the best burger... glad you agree!
24. (on march now im doing well) im sure we made more than 6 pubs!
25. weeknight going out is great. if you can't do your job tired/hung over/still drunk then you're not good enough at it. :-P its a life skill that we're teaching you here and you'll thank us one day
26. really good bolognese sauce is a HUUUUUGE understatement it was fabulous!
27. im stealing the free CD. sorry.
28. if you ever miss photocopying / filing i can get you some im sure!

anyway thats a huge comment sorry but there you go it proves I did read it all!

Anne said...

Um, Nic, the point of the comments section is to comment on a SPECIFIC entry. Silly boy.

Also, you lay your hands on my CD and I kill you. No joke.

= :)

Anonymous said...

Um, Annie, that would take aaaaaages! plus no-one would backtrack to read old comments.

;-P

*winner*

But I will get that CD - no jokes - the amount i've lent you and now I can't borrow that one! unbelievable...

Anne said...

Not like you're doing anything better at work, anyway. And you can BORROW the CD...just don't try and steal it.

*WINNER*

Bitch.

= :)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry... I still can't believe you have a blog... how emo of you.

See you in less than a month!!

Anne said...

um, I'M emo? Who's rocking the Ben Folds? Who's starving and bohemian in NYC? Who likes the depressing musicals??

= :P

Anonymous said...

I think Shelley and I got kicked out of the Haagen Daas restaurant because we ordered from the cheaper take out window and not the actual restaurant part. But yeah, it looked nice.