Aug 17, 2005

Yaay, sun!

Finally feels like summer here again with sunny, 70-ish days. Ah...I love London when it's like this.

So, the weekend of boredom turned out not to be so bad after all. On Friday the housemates went out to a bar up near the canal. It had an outdoor patio right on the lock and it was a beautiful night. The only drawback was trying to find a bar open past 1am...ah, London.

Saturday I slept in and went to the Theatre Museum, which was huge and actually really interesting. More fun, though, was window shopping in Covent Garden. Shopping...mmm. Then we had a "party" at the house, which basically consisted of housemates and about 5 invited guests. We're a big enough house to actually seem like a party when we're all in one room, though, so it was a lot of fun. And I got to see Archie, an old work colleague returned from Australia. That night we went to Underworld, which is a complete dive but a lot of fun.

Slept in again on Sunday (ahhh) and then took a walk in the park with subletter Melinda (from NYC, of all places), despite the gray skies and constant drizzle. We turned a corner and all of a sudden came upon a dance floor with dozens of dancing couples on it. It turns out that Regent Park does something called Tango al Fresco in which they have live bands and a temporary dance floor in the middle of the Broad Walk. It was a pretty amazing sight - there was a big crowd gathered, and most of the couples were in raincoats or holding umbrellas. I wish I had my camera.

Last night I went to my first ballet class in over a year, which was great (even WITH the aches and pains...I'm getting old!). In fact, the whole beginning of the week has been pretty great. The only disappointment? The Best Chip Shop in the World (home to the Best Burger Ever and the Best Chips of All Time) is closed!! Agh. No more late-night trips up the street for delicious, greasy food. No more being recognized by the guys behind the counter and getting extra chips for the privilege. No more taking friends from America there and having them referred to as "cowboys." An era has ended. Sadness.

A moment of silence for the chip shop, please.

Thank you.

= :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I knew how to play the bugle, I would play a mournful taps for the Best Chips Ever. While the flags may not wave at half-mast today, my heart certainly will. Adieu, Best Chips Ever, I hardly knew thee...

Anonymous said...

What? The chip shop? Remember when they called me a cowboy and I replied, in my usual bitch tone, "Do I looke like a cowboy"... sigh... memories.

Erin said...

damn that was a good hamburger