Jun 13, 2006

Croatian 'Sailing'

Note to self: Next time you plan on booking a 'Croatian Sailing Adventure,' ensure that the sailing adventure in question is A. On a boat that actually sails, as opposed to a glorified fishing trawler, B. At a time of year that has good weather, and C. Not on a boat almost entirely populated by Australian girls, aged 20-30.

So yeah, the sailing adventure has proved to be a little disappointing. The weather wasn't too nice and we were spending a lot of time on the boat with some very silly girls. But yesterday the weather improved and things started looking up. We went swimming off the boat in the gorgeous blue Adriatic, and I took out one of the sea kayaks and explored some seashore caves. It was amazing...the water is just this fantastic shade of blue, and the coastline is endless rows of cliffs with little red-roofed villages perched on them.

Yesterday we also arrived at Dubrovnik, a walled city right on the coast. It was damaged in the war in 1991 and 1992, but has been rebuilt so thoroughly, you could never tell anything was destroyed. I took a walk along the city walls with Dana (a really nice Canadian on the boat with me), which gave amazing views of the city and the sea behind. Then off to a little beach by the city, filled with all these smooth round pebbles and the same gorgeous water as everywhere else. I forgot my bathing suit, but figured if the men on the beach could subject me to their Speedos, I could get away with my underwear. Then the tastiest seafood paella/risotto-type dish I've ever had, and a liter of red wine for the both of us, all for about 8 pounds. And that's one of the most expensive meals I've had so far. Yaay Eastern Europe.

Off to more islands for the rest of the week, and then back to Split on Saturday, where I'm staying at Al's Hostel again (I was there on Thursday and Friday) because I had so much fun. Al is this entertaining British guy who just decided to open a hostel in Split. He reminds me of my fantastic gymnastics coach in London, and is tons of fun. Both the nights I was there, a group from the hostel went out for dinner and drinks, guided and accompanied by Al. The hostel isn't the prettiest, but it makes up for amenities in hospitality. It's nice when you're traveling alone to actually spend time with real people. (Although at the end of this tour, I know I'll definitely be needing some alone time - yaay floating dorm of Australian girls.)

Anyway, that's about it for now. Boring post, I suppose. All that wine last night has dulled my wit. Will try and write again soon!

= :)

P.S. Aw, thanks, Shelley! Although if you could see me after a day of serious traveling, you might change your mind. :P

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like you're having fun, and you'll be glad to hear its gotten all cloudy again today - even though it was gorgeous the last few days! hehe anyways you gotta love those speedos, im glad everyones wearing them, as i know theres no way youd run off with a speedo-sporting man you have better taste hehe! anyways speak to you soon stumps x x x

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne, I´ve been following your "misadventures" in London and abroad. Last weekend I´ve read your blog from your first post to the last one... and I must say you have captured my attention. Very good Tittle, excellent writing style... you have the ability to transmit the essence of the places you have visited (particularly those related with food!).

I´d like to give you a humble advice: your blog is oriented to those who know you (and it´s OK, maybe I´m the one who is in wrong place!!)... but I think you should write more about the "inner-Anne", your readers around the world will thank you!... we also want to know about your goals in life (what are you going to study at UNC?), about romance (what´s going on with Nic?), etc.
Congratulations, keep blogging and have fun in your life!!!
Fernando from Chile.

Anonymous said...

I am in the agreement!

Anne said...

Thanks, Fernando, but I think WRITING a blog is emo enough - I might just die of embarassment if I started to write about my feelings. :P

Glad you're enjoying it, though!

= :)

Anonymous said...

Anne, I think you´re right (maybe that´s why I´m reading your blog and not writting my own blog)... but try to give us some small clues. Bye,
Fernando