Jun 8, 2006

A Lady of Leisure

Hello Everyone -

I just got back from the baths, where I sat in the sauna, waded in a thermal pool and got a massage AND a pedicure (for about 10 and 4 pounds, respectively). Then off tonight to the ballet and probably ending the night with a small meal and a glass of wine at one of the small cafes near my hostel. Ah, this is the life...too bad I need to make my salary in London to be able to spend it this lavishly in Budapest.

In other news, Budapest has completely kicked Prague's ass. I've spent the same amount of money here and done so much more, have eaten better, and have had so much fun. I really like Budapest - it's grittier and bigger than Prague, and it really has a lot more character.

Yesterday I wandered around the city for a while, walking through this gorgeous island park in the middle of the Danube, and then made my way up to Castle Hill, high above the city. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to do up there, but I did have some delicious sour cherry strudel at a cafe Let's Go swore was around when the Hapsburgs were in power. Hm. Delicious, though. I also met two middle-aged Swiss guys, who ate about 6 pastries in between them (stocking up for the ride home, they said) and called Budapest a "criminal city," which I thought was fantastic. Then caught a late Mass at the gorgeous St. Stephen1s Basilica before heading home for dinner.

Today started so ridiculously early that I got a lot of stuff done before 5. After a scare with my bankcard (Barclay's had froyen my account because it thought I was committing fraud with my own card by traveling to too many countries) that was tahnkfully solved by a quick phone call to England, I went off to the giant market on the river. Gin, it's just like the one in Florence, with all the fruit and meat vendors. Then off to the Great Synagogue, the largest one in Europe. Then Parliament, based off the British one. Then the best part of the day...the baths. I feel so ridiculously relaxed and pampered now...the rest of the evening is going to be great.

I leave tomorrow for Croatia, and I think I'll be a little sad to go. I don't know why, but I really like Budapest - maybe it's the lack of tourists or the cheapness of everything or the way the metro sign looks like the Transformers symbol, which is pretty cool but still odd because of my childhood fear of the Transformers cartoon - just ask Virginia, who used to taunt me with the theme song.

Anyway, off to the ballet soon. I'll try and write before I leave for sailing (this Saturday), because I don't know what my internet access will be like. Bye for now!!

= :)

No comments: