Jan 4, 2005

Bus Tour Of London - For the Cheapskates

So, people have been saying that I should get out and see more of the city while I still can (i.e., before I have a job). A bus tour has been the most commonly-recommended way of seeing more of London. So I checked out the prices in my trusty LG: London, and found that a bus tour would set me back about £17, or over $30. Me being the person who has a hard time spending more than £4 on dinner, I decided instead to go the cheap way - buy an all-day bus pass and explore the city using plain old double decker city buses.

This actually worked out quite well. I was able to see a lot of the city, traveling back and forth and hopping on and off. (I even got to visit two museums - the Tate Modern and the British Museum, allowing me to check out the Islamic art collection and the Japanese sword exhibition at the BM, and the requisite Frank Stella at the Tate. When I can stomach paying the extra exhibition fee, I'm going back for the Robert Frank exhibit. I have to say, all the free museums here are great - it's given me so much to do with my time, and hasn't cut into my funds at all.)

I also got to familiarize myself with bus routes, which is useful for the next few days, what with job interviews and all. I actually have some of those! Two, to be exact. Nothing glamorous, though - an editorial assistant at an investment publishing company and a shop assistant at the Westminster Abbey Bookshop. Got to check that one out today - it seems busy, but really, what can't I handle after the farm? :) Hopefully more places will get back to me after their ridiculously long vacation - it was a bank holiday today and most offices don't open up until tomorrow. Lazy Brits.

Ok, off to bed so I don't sleep through my alarm like I've done the past two days. I think I still haven't gotten over my jet lag, which is ridiculous, since it's only a 5hr. time change. Will post back soon.

= :)

P.S. Oh, and Barb, I didn't get attacked by any large flying insects in Hyde Park - although I did think some over-friendly squirrels were going to launch a planned attack on my picnic lunch.

No comments: