Jan 1, 2005

Happy New Year!!

I couldn't go to bed without wishing everyone a Happy New Year. Maybe a few hours early, but you get the picture...

So I spent a decidedly low-key New Year in London, but a pretty fun one, nonetheless. My search for friends at Goodenough College (where I'm currently staying) unsuccessful, I set out alone. I planned to see a movie and then go out to dinner, but all the theaters closed early tonight. Sadness. So instead I got some yummy pastries from Chinatown and set off walking around the city, just mingling with the crowds.

I finally made it down to the Thames around 10:30, where I was able to stake out a good spot between the Eye and Big Ben. I passed the hours away people watching and intermittently talking with the friendly but somewhat odd Spanish grad student sitting next to me. I can only describe the New Year's fireworks as possibly the best Fourth of July ever. It even beat Boston's showing this year. (Sorry, Nina, Shelley and Jody). It was ridiculously excessive, apparently all because London has a bid for the Olympics coming up. Very entertaining, though. Then I just followed the crowds all the way back to Russell Square - home sweet home. So yeah, nothing huge, but pretty entertaining, anyway.

But the best part had to be counting down to the New Year. It really made me realize that I was in a different city, starting a whole new part of my life. So here's to the new year in London, in all its fabulousness.

= :)

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Happy New Year Byatch! Although it's actually not the new year yet here in not-as-fabulous Boston. In keeping with my grand tradition, I shall do what I've done for every new year preceding this one i.e., not care. ;p