Jan 22, 2005

So, just when I thought I'd never make any friends in London and have to spend every night in watching Eastenders on the telly (it's a nighttime soap opera, kind of like England's own telenovela. Of course, I even utter the word "telenovela" and people start looking at me funny, but that's what it is, so that's what I'm going to call it. So there.), my social calendar has been filling up at an alarming rate. But it's good. So not really "alarming." More like "fast."

This week I actually went out every night of the week except Monday, which, like all other nights at home, was spent watching many, many episodes of the OC (the new season starts next week here - yaay!). But then on Tuesday, my hosuemates grabbed me as I walked in and dragged me out to the pub. It's a local place with cheap drinks (my housemate works there) and the BEST CHIPS EVER. Made with cheese and chilis...mmmmmmmm.

Wednesday I made plans to meet up with the Harvard guy I met last week at the ballet. We went to go out for drinks, saw La Fille Ma Gardee at the Royal Opera House (which is GORGEOUS, by the way) for £4 (woohoo!) and then out for a (very late) dinner. And before you go jumping to conclusions, John (the Harvard guy) is approximately 65 years old. But fun nonetheless.

Then last night Abby (from college - lived in Lowell House) texted me about going to an American meet-up thing (there's a bunch of American expats living in London who are on Meetup.com and meet once a month for drinks and such). The meet-up was a bit lame (it was at TGIFs - why do they even HAVE one of those in London?) and it was incredibly loud inside, but I did get to catch up with Abby (who's doing a planning degree at UCL) and meet a few cool people. And I might have a Superbowl party to go to, now, which might be fun. You know, buffalo wings and all. And, by the way, the area between Leicester Square and Picadilly Circus, where the TGIF is located, is like America Land. There's a Baskin Robbins, a McDonald's, a Burger King, a Pizza Hut, a Subway, a Ben and Jerry's, a Hard Rock Cafe, and at least one Starbucks. It's like walking through a weird outdoor food court that purports to be "America." Weird.

And a side note - after reading the blogs of several friends, I have realized that I'm not quite as...entertaining a storyteller. And so I apologize to my audience and promise to work on being more quirky/exciting/avant garde. Yeah.

Off to what should be an interesting weekend - my house is hosting a Rocky Horror-themed party, and apparently a) I need a costume and b) there are quite a few people invited. So yeah, most likely going to spend Saturday night looking like an idiot in front of lots of people I don't know. But at least I'll have an excuse to buy some fishnet stockings. Yaay.

= :)

No comments: