Jan 26, 2005

Weekend Update

Hehehe...I just got this great image of Norm MacDonald cracking up at all his own jokes - good times. Those were the days when Saturday Night Live was actually funny - sadly, that's not the case anymore. But I have British TV to watch, so I don't care. :)

So this weekend was a lot of fun. I can't really remember when I last updated, but I'm sure this should cover it. Despite getting to bed pretty late on Friday, I woke up on Saturday really early. I took advantage of the early hour (okay, it was 10) to go see the Robert Frank exhibition at the Tate Modern. It cost a bit to get in (gasp!), but it was definitely worth it. There were 12 rooms of photographs, most from London, the US, and Peru. I could have done without the bizarre experimental films, but the proof sheets from Frank's book The Americans more than made up for it. I spent about a half hour looking at the wall of tiny little pictures - probably a few hundred in all. It was great to see the shots that made it into the book, and the ones next to them that just didn't quite catch what he was going for. There were a lot of good unpublished ones, too, which was incredibly cool to see.

Ok, since that paragraph is really only interesting to me, more about my day. I headed over to Portobello Road to check out the market there. After pushing my way past all the antique shoppers, I found the fruit and vegetable stalls, and got more than a week's worth of food for about £4. I love the markets here - I think I'm really going to miss them when I head home. It's like Dreyer's, but cheap. Incredibly cheap.

Unfortunately, the same doesn't exactly go for the clothes farther up the road. I had to push my way through tons of stalls on my way to the Tube, and wanted to buy something from just about every one of them. They have the most beautiful skirts with embroidery and big, full, skirts - arg, I need to go shopping. But not until the 2nd month at least - I want to try out my budget and see how it goes for at least a month.

Saturday night brought the house party, which was quite fun. I think about 30 people came over, but I really only spent the night hanging out in my housemate's Joe's room. Tons of fun ensued, as I got quite a bit drunk. Luckily, I only had to crawl up the stairs and fall into bed.

I got up at around noon on Sunday (thankfully without a hangover), and just did a bit of shopping. I took my first try at making Mom's tomato sauce with British ingredients, and while it went pretty well, I think it'll actually cost me less to buy prepared sauce here. No giant 40-cent cans of Red Pack tomatoes in London. :( I also watched two movies with my housemate Nick - Cold Mountain and the Girl with the Pearl Earring. Cold Mountain was ok - just interesting to see Jude Law and Nicole Kidman pretend to be Southern (who cast that movie?). The Girl with the Pearl Earring wasn't as good as the book, but was gorgeous - it really looked like a Vermeer painting. Also, any movie is improved by the addition of the wonderful Mr. Darcy (Colin Firth, of course).

Ok, think I've written enough for now. Will try and update tomorrow, too.

= :)

1 comment:

virginia said...

tell me more about robert frank!! he is so fantastic, im jealous you got to see so much of his stuff in one spot.